Sure, these are things you could Google or read about in Friel or simply ask about, but who has the presence of mind on race day to think of them?
Sometimes they keep you from looking just like the doofus you might imagine you are.
So, I take this opportunity to give thanks to anyone who has ever taken me aside and said, "Uh, um, not like that, like THIS." Just some of the help I've received in the past year:
Last year, as I was prepping for my second road race, a teammate came up to me and told me I did not have enough pins holding my number to my jersey.
- What gear I should be in at the start of a crit.
- How to warmup before a race.
- How to carry my cross bike on long portages.
- How to manage watts on long climbs.
- The list goes on and on...
I was ready to snap back with, "What? Four isn't enough?" when I remembered the annoying flapping sound of my number oscillating in the wind during the PREVIOUS race.