2009/07/12

An "Ah-ha!" Moment (maybe)

Today was a planned rest day. The first Sunday rest day in quite a while, a fact that was not lost on my wife and daughter. I'm sure the hedge that runs along our driveway was wishing I was out riding somewhere rather than hacking away at it's overgrown boughs late this morning.

As I was sculpting that unappreciative yew, I realized that my legs were not sore from yesterday's effort. Granted, we "took it easy" but the last 15 miles of the ride were quite an effort for me and I fully expected to feel it today.

Rewind back to Friday evening at the Elephant Walk restaurant in Waltham. We are ordering dessert and I ask for a decaf coffee (as does my wife) to go along with my slice of "Le Péché au Chocolat".

Later, after getting in bed early and doing a little reading, I turn off the light.

A few minutes after that, I turn to my wife and say, "You know..."

She finishes my sentence with: "...we got REAL coffee, didn't we?"

We both tossed and turned all night. I'm not sure who was luckier: me, who finally got to get up at 5 a.m. to ride and end the twitchy semi-sleep or my wife who got some decent shut-eye after I left.

I'll bet I was flailing at the end of yesterday's ride from simple fatigue and not lack of fitness. The combination of the coffee and the chocolate dessert did me in. Lesson learned.

No comments: